Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Short Thought on Circles

           Tanzania is a land of circles. The roads in town have round-abouts (“keepilefties” in Swahili) instead of stoplights. Church communion is taken in a party-esque circular fashion. Clusters of brethren sit in circles as they eat Ugali. Church is held in a ring-like manner. No joke, the speaker has to be mindful of a 360-degree audience.  Everywhere I go I see circles, and I think its because this culture is a community centered phenomenon. Equality. Connection. Something about the face-to-faceness of this place really hits home for me. 

(photo by Kandinsky Wassily) 

2 comments:

  1. do you think Thailand has a shape?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know..
    America seems kinda line-like.
    I'm not sure about Thailand. Probably warm cultures are more circular?

    ReplyDelete